Reverend Dr. W. Alfred Tisdale, Jr.
- To foster in each child a sense of wonder and joy in discovering the world.
- To establish an atmosphere of respect for self, others, and the environment.
- To foster an atmosphere where children feel enthusiasm and responsibility for work in the town around us.
- To provide ample opportunity to relate to the natural world and to the people and work in the town around us.
- To provide meaningful activities where process is more important than product.
- To support the child’s imaginative life and inner spirituality through story, song and celebration.
- To be supportive of parents, encouraging growth and involvement, and open and honest communication.
CNS welcomes children from 3 to 5 years of age. We are open Monday through Friday, September-early June, following the Stonington Public School calendar for February and April vacation weeks and school closings for inclement weather. Children come to school either Monday-Wednesday-Friday or Tuesday-Thursday from 8:30-1:30.
Both classes are multi-age groups of 3-5 year olds.
Rhythm of the day
|8:30-9:00||Good Morning! We welcome our friends as they arrive amid quiet activities and classroom preparation.|
|9:00||Ring the Bell. School formally begins. The children either ring the bell in the church tower or go to the church doors and count the 9 rings.
One morning a week children have chapel time and another they have Music Together class
|Morning Meeting. Children gather together for our traditional greeting song, our morning message and sharing time.|
|Explore! Play! Children choose from the variety of activities and experiences offered in the classroom including block building, puzzles and games, art experiences and dramatic play.|
|10:45||Clean Up/Snack Ceremony. Children help to clean up the classroom and set the tables for snack time with tablecloths, plates, cups and a candle. We share a blessing before we eat. We follow snack time with story time before we head outdoors.|
|Outdoor Play/Village Exploration. Children enjoy all that nature offers in our beautiful and serene play yard. Some days we journey into the local Borough community to visit and learn about the people who live and work around us.|
|12:45||Lunch Time. we eat our lunches we’ve brought from home.|
|1:00-1:30||Going Home A teacher greets parents in the hallway with stories of the day, children finish their lunches.|
|1:30||Day is done All the children have gone today and staff prepare the environment and review the day.|
- Field Trips
- Music Together
- Chapel Time
- Stonington Library’s Story Time
- Outreach Programs